Thursday, February 04, 2010

Getting ready for another round .....

..... of snow. The weather prognosticators are all over the place on this one. I'm hearing anything from 1 -2 inches to over a foot of snow. It seems that the snow amount predicting business is about as easy and on target as predicting sunspot cycles!


Weather map courtesy of AccuWeather.com

If you look at the above map, which appears courtesy of AccuWeather.com my QTH is out of the "paralyzing" snow area; but still within the "disruptive snowfall" area - whatever that means. It is supposed to start sometime tomorrow afternoon and last into sometime on Saturday. It looks like I'll be spending some quality bonding time with my snow shovel this weekend.

Quite coincidentally, this Saturday also happens to be FYBO weekend! For those of you not familiar, this is where we overly dedicated QRPers venture forth into the Winter outdoors and operate in freezing cold (or not) conditions. Looks like the perfect weekend for it, no?

Not really desiring my K1 to become a snowball, I will either operate from the back porch or perhaps from the basement, if I am already frozen solid from snow shoveling. If I operate from the back porch, I will freeze my buns off even more. If I operate from the basement, I'll probably just be cold as heck!

Using my gray matter for a change, I went out and did the grocery shopping tonight in relative calm. If experience is a guide, as we get closer and closer to the actual snow event, the grocery store will become wilder and woollier. I don't need THAT aggravation!

To my Ham friends in Southern NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA and WVA, I wish you a safe weekend! Take it easy with the snow shovels if you can; and stay warm and dry!

73 de Larry W2LJ

2 comments:

  1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be storm-free when I try to land at JFK the evening of February 26. Air travel can be very unpredictable this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, oh boy, bad weather again. We have winter since Christmas, and really I am fed up with all that snow and slippery conditions on the roads. I longing for nice spring weather... 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete