Sunday, February 28, 2010

PFR3A continuum

I soldered in the new oscillator clock chip that Dan Tayloe sent me; and unfortunately, not much difference. And yes, I did re-read the correspondence I had with KD1JV to make sure I put it in the right way! The voltages are correct now; but still no receive signals on 40 Meters. At this point, I'm not sure what else may have been damaged by the clock oscillator being installed upside down from the get-go.

A couple of weeks ago, I ordered back ups of all the active components that I have installed so far. I am going to put in a new voltage regulator as the +5V level seems a little low. That might just be due to the tolerance of my VOM; but I'll swap it out anyway for a fresh start. I will also swap out the 612's the 2N3904s and the 2N7000s.

This is kind of frustrating and disappointing as I have successfully built a ton of Heathkits in my younger years. These included an HR-1680 receiver and a complete SB-104A transciever with all the station options and an HW-8 QRP transceiver in addition to many other Amateur Radio accessories. I also successfully built a complete Heathkit high-end stereo system. My more recent projects, an OHR 20/40 Meter "Classic", my K2, my K1, and several RockMites were all built without incident. Each was assembled with no difficulties and worked correctly upon power up. So it's not like I am a total newbie without any kitbuilding experience whatsoever.

I guess I'll look upon this as yet another learning experience. If I get it working, that's all well and good; and if I don't ..... well, it's not like I'm looking for a cure for cancer; or trying to end world hunger. It's just a radio, after all.

Still, there's something inside me (I have been called "a stubborn Polak" before) that does not like to acknowledge defeat. All I can say is that my first experience with ordering and building a Hendricks QRP Kits product hasn't been exactly "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows".

I'll keep you all posted. Continuing progress will be slow as I'm looking at a very busy work week and next weekend is full of family obligations.

72 de Larry W2LJ

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your problems Larry. I'll keep the details of my own experiences with Doug off your blog but suffice it to say that you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:33 PM

    Sorry to hear ur PFR-3 is still broke. I understand the stubborn streak. It has been said that I have one. KD1JV does provide a repair service that is reasonable. I need to send my PFR to him. I have re-wound the coils trice and the built in BLT still wont work. It is not a bad product I think just my bad workmanship de Paul N0NBD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really sorry to read you aren't having any luck with this, especially as you are having a stressful time at work and were probably hoping for some reward. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your troubles Larry and I hope that you can still get it working.

    But I will 'ditto' what John said...

    73, Jeff

    ReplyDelete