Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Patience pays off

for an unexpected double pelt in the 80 Meter QRP Fox hunt.

Early on, I did not hear the Fox in the lower part of the Fox band; but I was able to hear the Hounds baying.  My strategy was to go up and see if I could hear the "High Fox" and I did hear John K4BAI picking off Hounds and handing out pelts at a rapid clip.  After much calling, John's fabulous ears picked me out.  I guess it was too close for him to hear; but 4RN (the 4th Region traffic net) was in full swing and covered him up pretty well. Luckily, due mainly to the K2's excellent filtering, I was able to hear him and he was able to hear me - exchange completed and pelt #1 was in the bag.

The other Fox was Dave N0IT in Missouri.  As I didn't hear him at all early on, I wasn't expecting much.  However, his furry little head popped out of the QSB and I was able to snag him on my second or third call.  Pelt #2 in the bag!

Again, both Foxes were heard louder on, and were worked with the Butternut HF9V.  I spent a little time looking up antenna articles on the Web and will soon decide between a Windom or the 88' EDZ as my replacement wire antenna.  The longer leg of the Windom would be about 85 feet.  I just might have enough room between the maple tree and the house to accommodate that.  This weekend, I'll have to have my son Joey accompany me to the backyard with the tape measure to do some figuring.  Planning a new antenna is always fun!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment