Monday, April 04, 2011

Club72

Not sure if many of you know about this organization - Club72.  Club72 was recently started by Oleg Borodin, RV3GM. Oleg was the one who coined the term "72".  We all know that 73 means best regards. Oleg thought that one number less or "72" should mean "best QRP".

The organization is devoted to the promotion of low power radio communications, worldwide.  To that end, that's my kind of organization and I quickly became a member.  This month, the club is running a QRP Marathon.  The idea is to get on every day and then enter your best, longest distance QRP QSO.  There is a form where you enter your call and the call of the station you worked, along with the output power of both stations and both maidenhead locators.  The webpage does all the calculations for you.  Then you get to see where you stand with regards to your fellow QRPers.

As of right now, there are 22 stations competing. Most are Russian and Europeans.  In fact, I'm the only stateside station that has jumped into the fray at this point.  Thanks to my two QSOs with EA2LU over the weekend, and one tonight with V44KJ on St. Kitts and Nevis, I stand in 9th place - pretty firmly smack dab right in the middle of the pack.

I'm sure my place in the standings will probably drop towards the bottom as the month wears on.  However, I am now motivated to look for at least one DX QSO everyday for the rest of the month.  The things I do to get on the air more!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry, thanks for explaining. I didn't know the meaning of 72. Now I know. Good results for QRP listing. Well done. 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete