Saturday, April 02, 2011

I am a DOP

No, No, No.  I am not trying to be hard on myself.  I am a DOP - not a dope!  I am a "Dispenser of Points".  At least that's the role I took on in my participation  in the QRP-ARCI Spring QSO Party today.  Not out to win anything - just have fun and hand out points to the serious contenders.

This afternoon, on the higher bands, I though it was going to be a DX party.  I was hearing and worked a few DX stations.  EA2LU as I mentioned before on 15 Meters and HA7UG on 20 Meters.  But right around dinner time 40 Meters livened up with activity and I started having some fun.

From there it was down to 80 Meters to work some closer in stations.  Conditions were decent with lots of loud stations, but also a lot of loud static crashes.  Then it was back to 40 Meters to see if it had gone long.  And it did.  I was able to work some farther away stations and now I am going to call it quits for the day.

The K2 and the EDZ did a fine job on 40 and 80 Meters.  I am becoming more and more satisfied with it and do not have the yen to pull it down in place of anything else (at this point!).


Tomorrow will be a busy day and I'm not sure I'll get any air time.  If that's the case, then that's all right as I had a lot of fun this evening.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Larry, I don't think you're missing too much. The higher bands are not what they were just a few days ago and contest activity on 20/40 aren't what they typically are for the Fall version of this contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Larry,

    My name is Bert and I am a enthousiast milliwatt and QRP CW operator. I visited your Blog via a link in the Blog of Paul PC4T.
    I read with pleasure about the QRP-ARCI Spring QSO Party. Giving away points is also having fun yourself.

    When I was starting as a HAM in the 1990's I used a homebrew Transceiver of 500 mW for 7 MHZ to make many QSO's all over Europe, during the 1990's.
    From 2001 I use a FT-817. The use of more bands gives more point and leads to win Awards in the QRP Category of several big contest.
    But I still have great FUN, using two homebrew transcievers, twice a year to particpate in the OQRP contest. The HM7 and the HDC14 to see on the PA1B QRPp page.
    I still love this QRP contest.

    In the last months I discovered the NAQCC monthly Challenge.
    Yesterday I made the first two QSO's for the April Challenge. Both with more than 1000 Miles per Watt. hi

    Thank you for writing about DOP operation,
    Bert, PA1B

    ReplyDelete