Saturday, April 09, 2011

Strange

Band conditions and propagation are subjects that are very well known to better men and women than I.  For all these years in Ham Radio; and I consider myself to only have a smattering of the most basic knowledge of propagation.  For the most part, I am a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of guy.

I am still hunting the elusive K6JSS/5 from New Mexico (can you say jackalope?); and time is dwindling and I am starting to feel a lil' bit of pressure.  This state may prove to be the end of my streak.  I have been following QRPSPOTS and have been straining to hear K6JSS/5 on 20 Meters, who, when I can hear him at all, is only about 229 at best with lots of QSB.

However, on the SAME band, working stations in Asiatic Russia has been a veritable piece o' cake by comparison.  With the standard QRP 5 Watts, I have been able to work RO9O (1141.23 miles per Watt)  and UA9OG (1141.27 miles per Watt), who are both almost 6,000 miles away from me with relative ease.

Even with my limited knowledge and expertise, I have a feeling once again that 40 Meters would be the band on which to "get 'er done" at this time of day.  However, if the NM station wishes to remain on 20 Meters, then there ain't much I can do about it.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Larry and I hope the streak does not end with K6KSS/5. I am wondering also if 80 would be another magic band???

    ReplyDelete