Saturday, April 28, 2012

QRPTTF - 2012

'Twas as busy today as I thought it would be.  I got the Jeep serviced as planned - that took a couple of hours.  Then as mentioned, I went "canning" for the Knights of Columbus Council that I belong to.  Every final weekend in April we collect for citizens with mental disabilities.  Over the past few years, our Council has been able to donate about $10,000 each year to three local schools that assist these folks.

So I stood in front of the local 7-11 in town from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM for the cause.  It was in the mid 50s and was quite breezy at times.  I was dressed warmly; but that breeze, when it hits just right, can go right through you.  The fact that I was under an overhang, in the shade and out of the direct sunlight didn't help matters. At times, I felt like a pitcher on Opening Day, blowing into my hands, trying to keep my fingers from going numb. When I turned the can (a large Folger's coffee can) in back at the Council, I didn't hang around to find out how much I collected.  The can was almost full, though, so there HAD to be over $100. People continue to be generous, even with a dismal economy.

On the way home, I picked up a sub sandwich for lunch, which I shared with my two kids. Then I had a momentous decision to make.  Was I going to head back outdoors for QRPTTF?  A bit tired and cold already- I have to say that I wussed out, guys!  I stayed indoors and operated as a Home Station for about an hour before heading out to do the grocery shopping (A Ham's work is NEVER done!).

In that hour, I worked 17 stations.  One of them was a SOTA station.  I didn't work any of the Florida QRP Stations, even though according to the QRPTTF rules, they would have counted.

20 Meters had the most activity; but the QSB was a roller coaster.  A station that was 599 one second, disappeared the next second.  You would wonder where he went to; only to hear him 599+ the next second!

I worked a few stations on 40 Meters including my good bud, Bob W3BBO, and I managed to snag a couple of station on 15 Meters too.

I sure hope everyone had a lot of fun.  From the looks of it, Jim W1PID (on of my role models) sure had a lot of fun

Since the contest officially lasts until 11:00 PM EDT, I think I'll head back down to the shack to see if I can't pick out a few more to add to my total of 17. Maybe 20M will still be open long enough to pick up some West Coast stations.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment