Thursday, August 10, 2023

Ham Heaven

There's a lot of things in life that I care deeply about - family, friends, my Faith, my community. My grandfather used to say that other than things like these, you have to have other passions in your life to make your time on Earth enjoyable. Mine of course, are Amateur Radio and baseball.  Ever since I was 10 years old, when my Dad took me to Shea Stadium to watch this certain phenom rookie pitch, I have been a baseball fan.  In particular a New York Mets fan, but really a baseball fan. Baseball captivates me. It's a battle between pitcher and batter. Anything can happen at any given moment. I've been known to watch Winter League baseball games in order to satisfy my appetite for the game.

My favorite baseball movie is "Field of Dreams" closely followed by "The Natural". There's a line in that movie, delivered by James Earl Jones that just went straight to my heart the first time I heard it. I particularly like this version narrated by the late and great Vin Scully:


When I saw this video that Kevin K0KLB posted on the Skeeter Hunt Facebook page, I just had to post it here:


It may be a bit "corny", but it resonated with me - my two passions combined!

Oh, and by the way, that rookie phenom pitcher my Dad took me to see? It was a kid by the name of George Thomas Seaver, who would become known as "The Franchise".


72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:04 AM

    I'm glad you got to enjoy "The Franchise" and then later in his career we got to enjoy his talents out here in the midwest when he played for Cincinnati. He came to Cincy the same year I graduated high school and stayed for a handful of years before moving on. Tom Terrific was just that!

    73, Jeff KE9V

    ReplyDelete