Friday, August 11, 2023

QRP Sucks!

I see this in so many places, but particularly on the POTA Facebook page - often uttered after failed attempts to activate a park. It's frustrating to see, but I have to keep reminding myself that it's a subjective statement.

The better question is - "Does QRP work?"

And the answer is yes! ........... and no.

As I've stated before, QRP is a mindset. If you go into it thinking "Woe is me! I only have 5 stinking Watts to work with!" - well, then you're probably going to fail. I'm probably preaching to the choir out there, but if you're a newbie to QRP, then this treatise is for you!

In reality, if you look at the math ............

If 100 Watts out gives you an S9 signal (on a perfectly calibrated S Meter) on the receiving end, then reducing the power by 4 times to 25 Watts will bring you down to S8 on the receiving end.  Reducing power by another 4 times to approximately 6 Watts will bring you down to S7. Only two S units! One more Watt less will mean diddly at this point.

Mathematics aside, there are other factors that can insure your success. One HUGE one is putting up the best antenna that you can. Some of the antenna arrangements that I see being implemented are not what I would choose under the same circumstance. Coil shortened verticals require a good ground plane. Mounting one on a vehicle or very close to salt water are the ideal. Planting one on the ground that consists of poor soil with perhaps only one or two radials is a recipe for disappointment. If at all possible, a wire in a tree or supported by some kind of portable mast mashup is much preferable, at least in my mind and my experience.  EFHW, dipole, sloper, or whatever, as high as you can get it will always bring you the best bang for your buck.

Equipment aside, you need to have a decent knowledge of how propagation works and what bands to get on or stay away from. 80 Meters during the day will leave you in the dust. Conversely, the higher bands at night MAY be open to some places, but night time IS a better time to stick to 40 and 80 Meters.

Then there's the mental aspect of it all. Like I said at the top, if you go into a QRP operation expecting to fail, the odds are you will.  If you require instant gratification for each time you tap the key or squeeze the mic, then QRP is not for you. If you have patience and can accept the possibility of not being heard by everyone in the world, then you're better suited for QRP. I've said many times that the mindset of a QRPer has to be, "I'm just another fish in the Amateur Radio sea. I may be a smaller fish, but I am just another fish." I've been a QRPer for so long that I don't even think of my power level when I turn on the rig. If I hear someone and work them, that's fine. If I don't, then that's OK too. There's always another time and another opportunity.

Success in QRP requires a good antenna, good knowledge of propagation and band conditions (where to be and when) and the proper attitude. If you have these, you're good to go, if not, then the best I can say is "QRP works for me, but maybe not for thee."

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment