Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I was looking at some POTA activations on Facebook and I'm amazed at some of these setups. And I've come to the conclusion that POTA-teers are definitely a diverse bunch!

On one hand you have the guys who come loaded for bear. They are ready for anything and their setups feature 100 Watt rigs in rack mount cases that look like a hernia in the making. Everything is included except the kitchen sink and a smoker for the brisket The table that these configurations are set upon seem to be screaming, "Make it stop!"

Then on the other hand you have the approach of the extreme minimalists These guys bring to the table (wait, they DON"T bring a table!) nothing but a rig the size of a postage stamp with a antenna crafted from almost invisible magnet wire, and an UNUN stuffed into a thimble, a 9 Volt battery AND it all fits in a tube sock! Everything is so small that if you don't paint everything with day-glo paint, it might get missed and left behind!



I'm kidding of course, but talk about diversity in approach! And if nothing, the photos are interesting to look at. The bottom line, I guess, is how much fun you had.

I'm of the mindset of folks like Jim W1PID, Tim W3ATB, Tom K1SWL, Steve WG0AT and other QRP brothers and sisters. They pack equipment somewhat in the middle of the two extremes. Their goal is to get the station up and running in a minimal amount of time with the least fuss. I have to agree with their philosophy, if I'm going to travel to a park, I want to operate, and not spend the day messing around with set up and tear down.


But as I said, to each his own - as Jerry Seinfeld said one more than one occasion "Not that there's anything wrong with that!"

72  de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:41 AM

    Spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 PM

    I assume you mean Thomas K4SWL. BTW, check out K6ARK’s micro Pixie - not even the brightest neon paint would help you find that radio ;) https://youtu.be/6rKpxAWZ7uM

    de K5KHK

    ReplyDelete