Thursday, August 24, 2023

I've always wanted one of these

 


But not being "Mr. Deep Pockets", all I've been able to afford is one of these, and it's been sitting in a box down in the shack for way too long.


The problem is that I've never taken the time to learn how to use it properly. That's about to change. I've been watching some YouTube videos, especially the one by my friend and fellow QRPer, Alan W2AEW. He makes it pretty easy to understand and there are plenty other YouTube videos and articles on the Web showing how to use this thing. I just need to take the time and educate myself.


A lot of times (actually, more than a lot), I don't give myself much credit, or have confidence in myself, and I tend to get intimidated by or resist change to new things. My sister will be the first one to tell you that my worst enemy has always been "me". I have to remind myself that I made it all the way to Amateur Extra by applying myself. If I can do that, I think I can master some of the basic functions of a Nano VNA.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. The 2 most important measurements I make with a Nano is finding resonance/SWR, and checking cable viability. Both are easy with the videos you've found and will quickly become second nature.
    Hint: You can save up to 4 frequency ranges. Since each range is limited to x number of data points (104?) narrow ranges are better than wide for pinpointing details. I set up (calibrated) several 2 Mhz ranges for the bands I use most. 6-8Mhz, 12-14 Mhz, 17-19 Mhz. Makes checking bands in those ranges even faster and more accurate than the default. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:09 PM

    I have the AA-54 (now obsolete) and it is great, it was completely worth the money. I also have a Nano-VNA, and it is a fun toy, however I consider the AA-54 a tool

    ReplyDelete