Monday, October 09, 2023

The weekend

Managed to work five POTA stations early Sunday afternoon. The POTA spotting page makes it so much easier. Band conditions were decent and I was able to Hunt on 40 and 20 Meters.

There were several activations spotted on 10 Meters, but the band was long and all I was able to hear were a few Italian stations - but NOT the one spotted doing a park activation. Of course!

In the evening I was able to get on 75 Meter SSB to check into the St. Max Net. Now that it's getting dark early,  the band was in good shape and I was able to hear just about everyone on the net. For a brief while this past Summer, I was contemplating selling my KXPA100 as I really never use it. I'm glad Bob W3BBO talked me out of it.  I really wouldn't be able to enjoyably participate in a 75 Meter SSB net with just 10 Watts of output power. I may be a QRP fanatic, but at the same time, I'm not crazy!

Last week, while we were up near the St. Lawrence River,  we took a quick drive over to Krings Point State Park. Didn't activate it,  but saw a lot of trailers and RV's parked with people camping out. The drive to Krings took us past Goose Bay, where Marianne and her family stayed when she was a teen. We actually found the spot where the cabin that they lodged in used to be.

Marianne wants to go back again next year for our anniversary and I told her I'd like to activate one or both Keewaydin and Krings Point and she was fine with that. Once again, I explained how Amateur Radio is a lot like fishing. Calling CQ is like casting a line and in both instances, you hope you're lucky enough to get a bite. So God willing and the creek don't rise ........

And while we're on the subject of the St. Lawrence Seaway, which we share with out neighbors in Canada:

Wishing you a wonderful Holiday!

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment