Tuesday, October 10, 2023

This never happened before


Went down to the shack yesterday morning before work, to make sure that I had shut everything off. I'm paranoid that way, I like to make sure that all electrical stuff is "off" before I leave the house for work. When I got down there, I saw the KX3 had drooped forward off its stand. I've never had that happen before in the 10+ years that I've owned it. The only thing I can attribute that to is that the extra (but minor) weight of the SideKX cover was enough to change the center of gravity just enough to make it fall forward off the tilt stand, which is made from a very smooth plastic and is probably slippery.

I rectified the situation by placing a thin piece of dense foam under the front edge of the stand. It's long enough that the stand doesn't wobble from side to side when I use the radio, and it pushes the stand back ever so slightly so that the rig no longer falls forward. As a secondary precaution, I secured the folding legs of the KX3 to the stand with pieces of electrical tape.

I'm not about to stop using the cover as it keeps the radio clean in a, shall we say, "less than sterile" environment.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I had a similar occurrence but on a much bigger scale! I went into my garage and found my bike laying sideways on the floor :-( No idea what the heck happened - puzzling! Poltergeist maybe, lol.

    Good job your radio wasn't near the front edge of the desk.

    73, Tom, M7MCQ
    www.m7mcq.com

    73

    ReplyDelete