Saturday, February 11, 2006

Restoration project

I am embarking on a restoration project; which I don't believe is going to prove to be too difficult. To the left is a Vibroplex bug that I won in an auction on eBay. I got it at the great price of $31.00. Considering the fact that the average Vibrpolex bug goes for well over $100.00 on eBay, I think I got a real good deal.

This one is a Vibroplex Standard Original. The serial number dates its manufacture in 1957. That's cool; because this makes this bug as old as me! In any event, this bad boy has a few problems right from the get go. There are no weights on the pendulum; and there was only one finger piece on it when I got it. The picture above shows that I have taken that off. The hole that the finger piece screws into was cross-threaded so I am going to have to retap the hole.

A telephone call to Vibroplex was in order; so I placed an order for two new black finger pieces as well as one heavy and one medium weight. I think this bug was stored somewhere where the humidity is high. A look at the strap underneath shows some heavy oxidation; which can lead to intermittant operation. The strap will have to come off and get polished by the Dremel tool. While I'm at it, the rest of the metal pieces will receive a light buffing from the Dremel, too. The base will receive a gentle going over with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That should get this beauty back in fine business shape! And once it's operational, I am looking forward to the challenge of matering the use of a "speed key".

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment