Monday, June 18, 2007

RF pollution is maddening !!!!

RF pollution is maddening! It ruined my evening last night during Run For The Bacon; and it reared its ugly head again tonight.

Last night I was able to copy all of two signals. The local noise was 10 over 9. I gave up after a half hour of pure frustration. Tonight started out a lot better. I was having a QSO on 40 Meters and the band noise was normal. Fortunately, it was at the END of my QSO when someone flipped a switch and the 10 over 9 hash came back with a vengeance!

I don't know what it is that is causing such horrendous interference. It's not anything in my house as the kids were asleep and my wife was working. I had nothing inside the house turned "on" that could generate so much noise. This noise HAS to be coming from a neighbor's house. A plasma TV perhaps; or a device like it?

It's not going to be easy to identify. Even harder will be explaining to the neighbor how his appliance is screwing up my radio!

73 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Hello Larry: Perhaps you might want to look here, for help with interference:

    KB9UKD’s Digital Modes Sample Page
    VE3HLS’ RFI Noise Identification Page
    I believe I’ve written before about the Digital Modes Sample page, but the RFI Noise Identification page was a new one for me. The page has 20 or more .mp3 files of various types of noise in the following categories:

    Household appliances and electrical equipment
    Computers and related equipment
    Transmitters and intentional RF emitters
    Electric Utilities , BPL and industrial equipment
    Miscellaneous Equipment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently discovered why dimmer switches have their reputation.

    All my equipment is located in a shop room in my garage. My problematic dimmer switch is located in the master bedroom, a room which is literally on the opposite side of the property from the garage. You couldn't put the two farther apart. If the switch is on, I get an S9 buzz on everything, everywhere.

    This little dimmer switch is so bad that it even screws up the AM radio when I pull into my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The affects of greenhouse gas ozone, which has been increasing near Earth's surface since 1850, could seriously cut into crop yields and spur global warming this century, scientists reported on Wednesday. For more information about Effects & Causes Of Global Warming

    ReplyDelete