Monday, September 24, 2007

Not Totally Unexpected


Turnout for the NJQRP Homebrewer Sprint on Sunday night was light. I half expected that. Crummy band conditions and non-existant propagation made for light turnout. For the time that I was able to be on, I made about 8 QSOs in approximately 90 minutes of activity.

I packed it in when I reached the point where a 20 minute CQ session had netted Zero; and everyone I could search and pounce was someone I had worked already. The usual suspects were present - N4BP, K4BAI, WA3OFF, AF4LQ and WØUFO among others. These ops have become good friends/acquaintances from meeting them on the air many times in other QRP sprints.. It is an honor and a pleasure to know them.

From the log entries, I've received so far, my puny QSO total is more the rule rather than the exception. Soapbox comments bemoan the lack of activity as well as the lack of propagation. I suspect the two are in a cause and effect relationship. Turnout will increase once the bands start getting better.

I'm now in the process of printing out certificates for the winners of the Spring 2007 event. Yeah, I know I'm late; but I have so many irons in the fire. I'm glad I'm getting them out now! I'll do better with the Fall results. The prototype certificate appears above. I still have to figure out how I'm going to place the certificate holder's name and call sign, along with the date; and my signature (as Contest Manager). Hopefully, the recipients will enjoy receiving and displaying these.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment