Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Thoughts

I was able to go out again at lunchtime today for another QRP session. We lucked out and the Nor'Easter in our vicinity stayed far enough off the coast so as to spare us from any snowfall. SE New Jersey, closest to the shore, was not so lucky. Very windy conditions today in the storm's wake. And while it wasn't as cold as it has been, the wind made it feel bitterly cold, even though the thermometer would have us convinced otherwise.

The SideKX plates and cover really do a great job protecting the KX3 within my "carry case". The elevated sides do not impair me from accessing and correctly pressing any of the KX3's buttons. Some have asked me about that, and there's the official answer - no problems, at least for me, anyway. The cover keeps the KX3's face nice and dust free - a much more elegant and practical solution compared to using a freezer bag.

I worked HI3/N3SY in the Dominican Republic on 15 Meters and ZF35LC in the Caymans on both 10 and 15 meters. I also worked LY24A on 15 Meters - a special event station celebrating Lithuania's 24th Anniversary of reclaimed independence.

Which brings me to my final thought. I have worked a lot of special event stations from Eastern Europe lately. Mostly from Poland and Lithuania as they celebrate their re-gained independence and/or their joining NATO. These events happened in relatively recent history, but these people are proud none-the-less. They have gone through a period of not having that independence; and it is still fresh in their memories what it's like not to have that freedom and liberty. I am so happy for them. At the same time, I fear there are a lot of folks in this country and in "the West" who don't really appreciate what they have and don't realize what has been earned for them through the continual blood, sweat and tears of many brave men and women. Or even worse, maybe they have become complacent about it.

I have no idea how to turn that around except to teach the younger generations as much as possible about the events that happened, especially over the last 60 years or so ago. As someone much wiser than I once said (and I paraphrase), "If we fail to learn from history, then we are doomed to repeat it."

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment