Monday, July 11, 2022

Fiddlin' around


 My view for the week. Not hard to take, eh? The way this year has gone so far, it's good to be up here again. For a week at least, worries and concerns are at bay.

I hooked up the AlexLoop on the porch of the cabin and worked two POTA stations, K5SJC in Texas on 20 Meters and N2EIM in New Jersey on 40 Meters. N2EIM was set up on the Delaware / Raritan Canal. Bob lives in Princeton, so I have a pretty good idea on which section of the canal he situated himself. Funny thing is that if I was home, I'd probably never had heard him.

I was going to toss up the PAR in a tree by the side of the cabin. I don't know what's going on up here this year, but we are being invaded by moths. Medium sized brown ones that fly in your face and make a nuisance out of themselves. Harmful? No. A pain in the butt? Yes.

I'll probably continue to work off the porch with the loop. I heard some decent activity on both 20 and 17 Meters including stations from Israel and Lithuania.  I didn't break the pileups as I wasn't really trying. Today was just fiddlin' around, getting used to tuning the loop which take a little practice if you haven't done it in a while. But after a few minutes I was getting the hang of it, once again.

As I was adding the entries into AC Log, the program stopped responding. I never have a problem with AC Log, so I knew something was up. Of course, Windows decided to update and after all was said and done, my log would not load. The MDB file must have somehow got corrupted while Windows decided to do its thing. Fortunately, the most recent backup was today, so I was able to load it up after missing only about 2 or 3 heartbeats.

Oh, by the way, I saw an announcement by Rich Fisher KI6SN for the 2022 Flight of the Bumblebees. instead of me speaking about it, I'll just paste in Richard's e-mail with the links, here.

The Adventure Radio Society is eager to announce the 2022 Flight of the Bumblebees, a four-hour event on Sunday, July 31 - the last Sunday of the month.

This is one of the most popular QRP contests of the year.

For complete details of FOBB rules and instructions, and for how field stations can obtain a Bumblee number go to http://ARSqrp.blogspot.com

The official email link for 2022 FOBB is:

arsbumblebees@gmail.com

We thank you in advance for your support of the 2022 Flight of the Bumblebees and hope to see you there.

All ARS events are underwritten by 73 Radio Row.

73,

Richard

Richard Fisher, KI6SN

Co-founder, the Adventure Radio Society

73 Radio Row

Riverside, CA

So there you have it - go sign up for a Bee number!

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very keast!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Larry, as a sideline regarding windows updating....I too in the past have had issues when Windows decided to update. I came across a site on the net called "Askwoody", its a site with tones of info about windows and PC's. On the main page they have a scale of 1-5 where if 1 is highlighted you are to not update windows. When the scale goes to either 4-5 it's time to update. This group monitors when Windows puts out an update and notes all the bugs. Windows does over the month correct these issues and that is when the Askwoody site gives it viewers the green light to update. There is a small program that you can download that runs in the background allowing you to stop windows from updating on its own. They have this program on the Askwoody site. I have never had any issues since I have been using their system (for about 4 years now) If you want more info just email me Larry.
    73 and enjoy your vacation at the lake!!
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Have a great vacation Larry. I'll look for you on the bands.

    72,

    George
    K2WO

    ReplyDelete