Sunday, March 17, 2024

Mission Accomplished

So, I did get the grocery purchasing done early enough yesterday. It looked like a POTA  activation would be a possibility. In fact, I was done and back home by 9:30 AM. It took another half hour or so to tote everything inside from the car and put everything in its proper place. However, at 10:00 AM, it was still only in the upper 40s (about 8C) so I decided to wait around for a bit. In the meantime, the phone rang a couple times, including a long conversation with my sister.

Around 11:30 AM, it had gotten into the mid 50s (13C), so I decided that all was a "go" and I grabbed my CQ Magazine daypack that I got at Dayton many years ago. Inside were the KX3, the AX-1 antenna, my little blue brick lithium battery, a clock, some earbuds and my Bulldog Clip paddle. The next big decision - winter jacket, or spring jacket? I finally decided on the spring jacket as I layered up with shirt, hoodie sweatshirt and jacket, hoping I would be comfortable enough as there was a light, but persistant breeze which made it feel cooler than it actually was.

I got up to Washington Rock State Park, K-1635, at Noon. There were a lot of people there, but only one of the picnic tables was taken, the one actually closest to the monument. I took the one nearest the road as I had some suspicions about that other one, which I'll reveal later.

The station was set up in minutes. I programmed a CW memory for "CQ POTA" and got busy trying to find a clear frequency. That wasn't as easy as I had hoped as 20 Meters was busting with Virginia QSO Party participants. I did finally find a clear spot a bit above 14.060 MHx and got down to business. I spotted myself on the POTA app, and in a quick flurry I had 4 QSOs in my notepad. My plan was to get the requred minimum of 10 QSOs done, as it was kind of chilly for my taste, especially being exposed to stronger breezes coming in from the ocean at that height above the piedmont.

I had to QSY several times as my spot was overrun by VA QP stations. After a while, when my CQs were not yielding much fruit, I tried 17 Meters and 15 Meters. 17 Meters got me a QSO with Minnesota, but 15 Meters was not getting me any QSOs at all.  At that point I only needed two QSOs to reach my goal, so I decided to hop back down to 20 Meters and become a hunter. That turned out to be a good idea as I got three Park 2 Parks in and exceeded ny target with a bonus QSO. It was then that I became aware of how chilled I had gotten and after an hour of park time, I packed up for the day. Before doing that, I took a couple of obligitory snapshots.



Once back in the car. I decided to go to the Reverse Beacon Network to see where I was heard.


In actuality, I netted QSOs with stations in Arkansas, Georgia, Texas, Virginia, Minnesota and Michigan. There were a couple more states that I can't think of now without consulting my copy of N3JFP's AC Log (or my chicken scratch notepad).

As I was working stations, it became apparent that the park was becoming more and more crowded, The other picnic tables became occupied by actual picnickers. The thing that amazed me was how many younger people in their 20s (probably) were attired in just t-shirts and shorts. It wasn't THAT warm, but I guess the youngsters don't feel the cold like we oldsters do!

That other occupied picnic table that i mentioned earlier? Last night, when I checked to see if my activation had been posted to the POTA stat page, it also included an activation for the same date by W2ITG. I've never met him, but by the posture of the person sitting there, I could tell he wasn't eating lunch. i suspect that was W2ITG, but he activates using SSB, so there wasn't a problem.

Last thing - next time I go back to K-1635, it will be with the PAR ENDFEDZ. As much as I like the AX-1 and enjoy its portability, it's not a wire antenna, which I still think would be better choice when it's possible to use one. Yesterday was a "experiment" to see if the AX-1 is a viable choice. It is, especially when wires in trees are not pernissable or practical. In my mind, however, some wire up as high as you can get it is always the better choice.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment