Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Bits and pieces

I finished listening to "The Brighton Boys in the Radio Service" today on my way to work and am now disappointed that it is over. It was fun listening to a "book on tape" for the past few days; and now I am sort of yearning for more of the type of adventure books that I used to read as a kid growing up. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I added two more blogs to the blogroll for those of you who like to read blogs. I've linked to Paul PC4T's blog as well as that of Mads LA1TPA's blog. It looks like I may have to eliminate one or two from the blogroll, as well - those which don't receive updated posts very often. I'm thinking that if a blog goes longer than 3 months without an update, it might not be worth keeping on the list.

Even when I have been in the dryest of dry spells, I don't think I've gone more than a couple of months between posts. When you just plumb run out of fresh ideas, sometimes this blogging thing is a real labor of love. Then, on the flip side, there are times when you can post three or more times in a day as the ideas come. When the juices are flowing, it's a good thing.

It's been mentioned on QRP-L that the HB-1A QRP radio out of China is now available as a kit.

http://tinyurl.com/ya9whpz

Details seem to be a little sketchy as to how much of the kit is surface mount. I'm sure details will follow.

Back in September, I ordered a PFR-3 kit from Hendricks QRP Kits with some money I earned from selling off a few items. A week after I ordered it, it was brought to my attention that a "Temporarily Out of Stock" sign was put on Doug's Website. I am hearing through the grapevine that the new batch will have some revisions made to the circuit board and SHOULD be available in the middle of the month. I sure hope that's the case! In the meantime, I have other kits to build and other projects to assemble; but you know how it is when you set your heart on something.

The coming weekend is the QRP-ARCI Fall QSO Party. This is a good one to keep in mind. Not only is it a ton of fun; but with Autumn conditions coming back - 80 Meters should be good in the evenings.

http://www.qrparci.org/content/view/7674/118/

That's it for now - have to save some ideas for upcoming posts!

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Hello Larry, thank you for putting me on you blogroll. It is nice to meet people with the same interest on the Internet such as QRP ham radio amateurs, just because we have something in common. Have a nice day, 73 Paul PC4T

    ReplyDelete