Thursday, October 01, 2009

Brighton Boys

Many thanks, again, to Tom Clifton KC0VSJ for his mention on QRP-L about the audiobook, "The Brighton Boys in the Radio Service", which I mentioned a few days ago.


I downloaded the file and have burned the book to a few CDs which I have been playing in the car on the trip to and from work; and I have been enjoying it immensely! It's definitely an old book; as you can easily tell from the way it is written. When was the last time you read a book that referred to the main characters as "lads" and "chums"? But nevertheless, the book is a hoot and a great "listen". The commute the past few days has gone quicker than ever; and I'm not referring to the volume of traffic or my speed of travel.

So far in the first six chapters, there have even been a few instances where Morse Code has actually been heard while being referenced in the story. The fact that radio and telegraphy play a major part in the story are a definite plus.

I will have to search the Internet to see if I can find any instances of books that feature radio or telegraphy as part of the plot. If I find any, I will surely post them here. If you know of any, please don't hesitate to share!

By the way, I noticed that Librivox has a few Tom Swift books by Victor Appleton in their "inventory". I'm going to have to investigate those - ahhhhhh, boyhood memories!

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. I have six or seven original hard-cover books of the "Radio Boys" series. They were published in the 1920's and written by several authors. Not sure but ghost-writers may also have been employed by the publisher. The vocabulary and grammar is very adult though the books were written fot fifteen or sixteen year-olds. I wondor how many of today's kids of that age would get through one of these delightful stories.

    ReplyDelete