Monday, October 19, 2009

Setting priorities

I resigned as Awards Manager for the Centurion Award for the Straight Key Century Club tonight. I have been there since its foundation - I'm SKCC#49. I designed the award in conjunction with Tom Petersen, the founder of SKCC. From the beginning, Tom was approving the awards; and I would generate them and them mail them to him, for him to sign and distribute. A little later, the job was taken over by Gordon N6WK. I took over for him when he was no longer able to do it.

Later the club Website was formed and there's a "robot" that will generate a certificate for you, once your Centurion status is acknowledged (by me). However, lately I have been receiving e-mails where, in essence, "management" has been receiving complaints that I have been too slow in confirming the approvals.

Unfortunately, for the SKCC, I have a full time job (50+ hours a week) , a family and other obligations. In other words, I have a life. Time is a very precious commodity when you're trying to balance family, employment and other household chores as well as church, civic and community duties. Heck, all that barely leaves me any time to actually get on the air and operate, let alone build things!

On the other hand, having earned the Centurion Award myself, I know that it is not the "easiest" thing to accomplish and that the deserved recognition is forthcoming in a timely manner. Therefore, I informed the "Powers That Be" that it would be best if they would find a retired person, perhaps, who could could fulfill the obligation faster than I am able to.

73 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. Situations like this always amaze me. It's a club, you're a volunteer, and it's all for fun. Why do people get so worked up over it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Larry, indeed there is only 24 hour in a day, and there is more in life then club work. They should be happy with someone like you. I can understand you resigned. 73 Paul PC4T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you find all kinds in a group with 6,000 members. There are MANY more of us who appreciate Larry and all the work he has done over the years. Larry has given a lot of himself and I and the others, who work behind the scenes at SKCC will truly miss working with you. You have helped lots of people, including myself and for that, I say thank you and job well done!
    Bravo Zulu
    72/73, Bill NT9K

    ReplyDelete