Friday, May 25, 2012

Done!


The paddles are done.  The assembly was in the class of "Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy" territory. And assembly time was all of about a 1/2 hour or so.

The instructions provided by Doug Hauff were superb and easy to follow.  The hardest part, installing the compression spring was no big deal at all.  Slipped one end of the spring over one of the spring retainer screws and used a tweezer to finagle the other end over the other screw.  No launching into orbit or getting lost. Viola!

What I like most about these are:

1) Materials - nice grade of aluminum.
2) Weight - minscule.
3) Size - Super small; but yet not to the point where these are difficult to use. And I can be ham fisted, at times.
4) Ease of adjustment - Here's the best part.  I like my paddles to have MINIMUM arm movement. There  should be no "clacking" and the closer I can get the feel to compare to a touch keyer the better.  I succeeded here with the DCP.  The adjustment screws have a fine enough thread pitch where this was easy to attain.

The only thing that I have to say that is negative, is that when you have the paddles attached to your radio (and it is on), you have to be careful about how you pick these up if you want to move them.  Your first inclination will be to reach down (or over) and just grab the key with your hand. If you do it that way, you will most likely start inadvertently sending dits and dahs. Like I did - several times. Oops!

That minor inconvenience being noted, I would give these paddles a 5 out of 5 star rating.  For their intended use, these paddles will more than fit the bill.  Now all I have to do is figure out some kind of leg mounting scheme.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Looks great Larry you should give the key a go in the WPX this weekend.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete