Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The Fox is afoot!

The 20 Meter QRP Foxhunt season officially opened tonight. The two Foxes were Bill AA4LR in Georgia; and Dale WC7S in Wyoming. Bill was filling in for John K4BAI who was originally scheduled for tonight; but ended up having to be out of town.

Bill was surprisingly loud; and I found him quite easily. He was a good 589-599 and was handling hounds at a nice clip. But I expected to hear him less well than I did, given the proximity between New Jersey and Georgia.

I thought that Wyoming to New Jersey would be the easier trip for 20 Meters; but I was sadly mistaken. After working Bill, I went hunting for Dale and found him - barely. He was 339 (maybe 449 at peaks) all the way. I called him for a good hour and fifteen minutes and there was once or twice when I thought he'd heard me, so I sent my exchange anyway.

Let's put it this way - if my call find its way into his log, I will be VERY surprised!

For the second year in a row, it's been my job to organize the QRP Summer 20 Meter Foxhunt season. The operators are superb - all top notch and it's been a pleasure working with them. It's also nice to be involved in something that gives a lot of your fellow Amateur Radio operators so much fun.

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:53 PM

    AAAhhhh...the elusive fox's.
    Yes, they're a blast. One of my favorite sports but not doing too well with the last two hunts.

    I caught both of the above fox's but no pelts recently.

    GGGrrrrrr.....

    N8ZYA

    ReplyDelete