Monday, January 18, 2010

A bump in the road

I finished the Group 2 Build last night and the receiver section is not working like it should. There are two things I want to redo; and that I think might be the most likely culprits.. First is L1. It did not turn out quite as nicely as I would have liked. The windings are a bit loose and the toroid is a bit "floppy" on the circuit board. I am going to tear that apart and redo it.

Second is U2. I see the 8 pin DIP socket is a bit tilted. I am going to go by Radio Shack and pick up a few spares and will replace it. I noticed that when I took a dental pick; and pressed down on pin 1, that the receiver seemed "livelier". That may be the problem. I was SUPER careful winding and installing T1; so I don't think that's the problem.

In addition to the DIP sockets, I am going to need to buy some solder wick. I only have a couple of inches left on the roll that I have. Even though today is an off day, I will be pretty busy with my two kids. Hope I can make it to the store today.

73 de Larry W2LJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made it to the store and whenever I go to Radio Shack, I always end up wondering why I bothered. They did not have 8 pin DIP sockets; and the clerk didn't even seem to know what I was asking for. "Everything we have for ICs in this drawer". There were some IC's but no sockets. Looks like I'll have to go to the electronics store one day on the way home from work this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment