Sunday, September 16, 2018

First time ever!

So I did something yesterday that I've never done in 40 years of Ham Radio - I entered the NJ QSO Party. Granted, I think the event fell into a malaise for many of the years of my Amateur Radio career. However, due to the yeoman work of the Burlington County Amateur Radio Club, the NJ QSO Party has been experiencing a renaissance of sorts.

\
If I am not mistaken, the Burlington County ARC took over sponsoring the event in 2012, the same year the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt was born.  Before that, it was sponsored for many years by the Englewood Amateur Radio Association, Despite their best efforts, the contest just fell into a state of disarray.

The guys at K2TD have been faithful participants of the Skeeter Hunt. How could I not return the favor? I've been meaning to participate the past couple of years, but something always seemed to get in the way.

Not this year!  I didn't put in anywhere near the 18 hours that the contest ran. I was only able to afford about 3 or 4 hours in total between chores and other commitments.  But in that 3 or 4 hours, I managed to make 30 QSOs in the QRP category. My best DX was working OM2VL on both 20 and 40 Meters. I also managed to snare WA, TX, and AR as well as many of the "closer-in" states.

Not being a contester outside of QRP Sprints, this is also the very first time that I have submitted a log in cabrillo format. I used SP7DQR's adif to cabrillo converter, but I'm still expecting an e-mail from the Burlington County ARC that will probably go something like this:

"Dear Larry,

Thank you so much for participating in the NJ QSO Party this year. We hope you had a good time. However, what is this hot mess of a log that you submitted? We can't make heads or tails out of it. Please try again - and watch YouTube if you have to, OK?"

Cordially yours,
Burlington County ARC"

I have until October 1st to get it right!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment