Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Autumnal Equinox

Is this coming Saturday for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. For those below the Equator, Winter is over and Spring is on the way. Hooray for you!

Unfortunately for me, I don't tolerate the loss of light and the colder temperatures all that well. The bright spot is, though, that band conditions on 80 and 160 Meters will be better in the evenings. I'm also heavily contemplating re-joining the QRP Fox Hunts this Winter Season.

This hormone blockers that I'm still on (last shot comes this December) for prevention of a recurrence of the prostate cancer that I had last year still fatigues me quite a bit. Until just recently, it was not uncommon for me to hit the hay by around 8:00 or 8:30 PM. But I've been working my "staying up later muscles" by checking into K2VHW's Middlesex County Chat Group Net which lasts until about 10:00 PM each evening, so I feel like I might be ready to attempt staying up until 10:30 PM for the Fox Hunts. Of course, if I work the Foxes right off, I can hit the sack earlier, but I'm not stupid enough to think I'll crack the pileups towards the beginning of the Hunts. That's not just the W2LJ way.

Some of you have commented on the uptick in blog posts. Yeah - that's a result of feeling better and easing myself back into my older routine. I actually WANT to get on the radio more. For a while there all I wanted to do was not much of anything. Unfortunately, the stuff that needs to get done around the house hasn't subsided any, and that always comes first - but the stronger I get and more normal that I feel, the more time there is for extra-curricular activities, so to speak.

As a side note, this November 3rd marks the day that I can officially retire, according to the Social Security Administration. That's not going to happen, although I wish it could. The current plan (God always seems to laugh when I make plans!) is to work another year and a half until I'm 68. Then I think I'll be at the point where I just can't take this daily grind stuff anymore and I'll either retire or go crazy.

Knock on wood, I'm at the point, radio-equipment-wise, where I want to be. I'm set up well enough for both home and portable operations. I'm good with my "permanent" antenna setup, barring any hurricanes or other natural disasters. Portable antennas - I have more than enough - maybe too many to choose from. All I need is time to enjoy it all.

72 de Larry W2LJ

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment