Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Noise on the W3EDP

While I was on HF last weekend, I've really noticed how noisy and hashy the W3EDP has become. The HF9V is much quieter and it's easier to hear weaker signals with.

When I was at a previous data center job, I noticed some clamp on ferrites that were being tossed in the trash. They were probably meant to be placed on server power cables, if necessary. In any event, I rescued them from oblivion and will try putting them on the W3EDP's coax to see if they make any difference. Sometimes you really can find treasure laying in the trash!

If not, I've been watching some YouTube videos on some products that Palomar Engineers sell for this express purpose. I may have to give them a shot. The W3EDP is my main stay and I'm hoping I can quiet the background noise down without resorting to the KX3's noise reduction circuitry. I use that as a last resort only because, to my ears, it makes everything sound somewhat "artificial". That's probably not the best way to describe it, but that's what it seems like to me.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment