Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I never realized

I have lived in New Jersey all my 54 years.  And until joining the "Parks On The Air" group on Yahoo, I never realized that New Jersey had so many state parks.  In all, there are 51. One of the things I would like to start doing (probably next year) is activating as many of these as I can.  According to the group's rules, it takes five complete QSOs from any given park for it to have been considered activated.  This is pretty much similar to activating a Summit On The Air, if I remember correctly.

I am familiar with a lot of them, perhaps even a majority of them.  But I have to confess, that before reading the list on the POTA Yahoo site, I wasn't even aware of Farny State Park, or Wawayanda State Park or even Double Trouble State Park (does that refer to Pennsylvania and New York? Sorry - no offense!).  These and others I will have to Google for locations and directions.  

In addition to these, there are also fourteen National Parks in New Jersey; but I believe that only twelve can be activated.  I am pretty certain that bringing Amateur Radio equipment to Liberty Island and Ellis Island is not permitted.

Operating the parks and activating them seems to be a natural activity for someone who likes to QRP from the "Great Outdoors".  If you're intrigued by this idea, I encourage you to visit:


72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment