Friday, September 02, 2011

New kit alert!

QRP-L is a buzz today with a new offering from Hendricks QRP Kits.  This new one is called the Hendricks 40 - 15 Meters SOTA Halfwave Tuner.  As you may be able to guess, it's a tuner for End Fed Halfwave wire antennas.  Designed with portable ops, such as Summits On The Air, in mind.

Of course, QRP-L is abuzz, not so much with the news of a new kit; but more as to whether this new product can truly considered to be an End Fed Halwave Tuner.  Doug's new kit has two connections, one for the wire and one for a counterpoise.  The purists are maintaining that a true End Fed Halfwave Tuner would not have a connection for a counterpoise.

I don't have a dog in this fight; so I won't offer my two cents regarding that issue.  However, any product which makes it easy to get on the air while attempting portable ops, instead of fussing with settings and other details is all right in my book!  Like I've said so many times before, for me at least, the fun part of operating outdoors is to see how many contacts I can make - not how many minutes I can spend setting up.  The faster I am on the air, the better!  And I have found that a hunk o' wire thrown up a tree, with a counterpoise leading off the tuner is quick, easy and down and dirty.  Much better than other options which are out there.

I have been spending a bit of time over at the Discovery News Storm Tracking site, keeping an eye on Katia.  The Discovery News site has a feature which allows you to keep track of possible storm paths.  It's way too early to tell as of today; but I am hoping that Katia does NOT follow the same path as Irene.

I received an e-mail from our Director of Emergency Management this week; and there have been letters in the local town paper today from the Mayor and one of the Council members, thanking all the responders for our turn out last weekend.  No thanks are necessary, as we do this kind of thing because we want to, not because we have to. But with that said, it's still nice to know our efforts are seen and appreciated.

I hope everyone in the US has a happy Labor Day Weekend this weekend.  Monday is the town's parade in the morning and the town's annual fireworks display at night - South Plainfield's "good-bye" to Summer.  I will be with my CERT team providing assistance to the town during both events.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment