Monday, September 26, 2011

Knew this was going to happen

I don't quite know what to think about this.  I just received an e-mail telling me that WorldRadio Online will no longer be free beginning with the November issue.  The yearly subscription fee will be $19.95 a year beginning October 25th - BUT ......as a loyal WorldRadio Online reader, if I subscribe before then, my first year will only be $9.97.

This seems to be prompted by the fact that WorldRadio Online will now be made available to tablets, phones and other on-line devices.  I am guessing that there's some kind of inherent costs associated with that, which makes a subscription necessary (once again)?  Or perhaps it the fact they are turning over production to a company that specializes in "e-zines" (hate that term!).

Which makes me wonder ..... what the heck happened to my Lifetime subscription that I ante'd up good money for (in good faith) so many years ago?  Yes, I know, they extended my subscription to CQ Magazine for a limited time. But that runs out next April, and I have to start paying for that again, too. Note to self - NEVER sign up for a lifetime subscription for ANYTHING, ever again.

I really love CQ Publications and I think they do an outstanding job.  My gut makes me feel that somehow, I am getting the shaft here.  I'd better cool off before I make a final determination, because right now, I'm in no mood to be forking over 20 bucks a year for something I thought was going to be free. And right now?  Saving up for that KX3 is more important to me than Kurt N. Sturba.

But referring to the title of this post, in the back of my mind I always knew that "There's no such thing as a free lunch".  The way my luck is, pretty soon I'll get an e-mail from the League telling me that my Lifetime Membership no longer includes QST!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 PM

    In general I have not been "buying" non-tangible content - whether publications, books, videos or music.

    Call me old fashioned, as I want to have a real copy - not just the right to print one out at my additional expense.

    WorldRadio Online was already advertiser supported, and I sure didn't need all that fluff.

    The old newsprint copy was fun, got handed around to people I wanted to introduce to our hobby and was actually rather "green" while still having some permanence.

    This eMagazine is a whole 'nother critter.

    Wishing them success, and will reflect for a while whether I want to throw $10 their way, and $20 a year afterwards.

    73

    Steve
    K9ZW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 AM

    Wow, perfect info! I was impresses, lovely to find your blog!


    Job Responsibilities

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:16 AM

    Larry,
    Don't give the ARRL any ideas!!!
    Hi.
    Bob W3BBO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe I got an email, Larry. :) Oh well, settle down and see if you can find the money to spend for World Radio Online. Richard is a good guy and unless we help him, they will have to shut down. They used to say Lee Trevino (remember him) can beat you with croquet mallets at golf, but you need a set worth hundreds of dollars. I guess you do value what you pay for more so I'll probably be trying to find the $20 for Richard!!

    jim/w4qo I love this QRP stuff!

    ReplyDelete