Monday, May 05, 2008

A nice thing to hear

The following post appeared on the Flying Pigs QRP Club International e-mail reflector today:

So some might say this doesn't count since there was an Internet in between, but still. Radios at both ends, and I think you'll agree it's exciting.

So I'm listening to my Echolink/IRLP node and this station that I don't know connects to me from Utah. We start chatting, and. Not only is it a 14 year old kid (jus' like me when I got started! Actually, he got started younger!) And he's saving his pennies for an HF rig. But mind you, not just any HF rig. No sir! He wants to build a tuna tin II! So not only is this guy a fairly new Tech who is learning the code because he "wants to", but he's a young guy who's interested in learning the code "and" building a radio to get on the air with it! Not being of much of a building inclination (although I would love to change that--just need the right local elmer), this really, really made my evening. He's one of those fortunate kids with hams in his family, which has to have helped. :-) I invited Brady, KE7OMC, to come play in our mud hole. Just about to send him info on the piggies (not to mention other great sites with nice kit stuffage!)

72 es OO,
Buddy, KB5ELV
Long lost FP#329

Wow! Unfortunately, that's a situation that is not nearly as common as it used to be. But it is one to be nurtured. So, I have a Tuna Tin II that's sitting on the side, waiting to be built .........

I e-mailed Mr. Brady KE7OMC and told him it was his for the asking. If I can help in some small way for a young Ham to become even more interested in CW and QRP; then it will have been well worth it!

Anybody have a 40 Meter receiver kit that they'd be willing to give a deserving home?

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment