Thursday, January 29, 2009

CQ and WorldRadio

I was very sad to see WorldRadio cease publishing a hard copy edition. I started getting the publication back in my Novice days and it has always been my favorite. In fact, it was so much my favorite that I became a lifetime subscriber way back when. I had my lifetime subscription to WorldRadio long before I decided to become an ARRL Lifetime member and that was back in the dinosaur days!

I loved the non-glossy newspaper feel of the magazine and I loved its content. It seemed to be the right mix of news, contest info, technical stuff with a healthy dose of Ham human interest stories blended in.

The new version will be just as good, I am sure; but I can't roll it up and carry it in my back pocket anymore! Certainly can't take it to the "Library" with me for some leisurely reading, either. Well yes, I suppose I still can - but I'm not about to print out a 40 page issue every month!

But I'll tell you one place they did make good on their word .... with this business of extending my subscription to CQ. I got my February issue of CQ the other day, and I see on the mailing label that my subscription has been extended to 2012.

Technically, CQ didn't have to do anything at all. I became a lifetime subscriber to WorldRadio back in 1979 or 1980, and I have gotten more than my money's worth of that initial payment years ago. To have my CQ subscription extended for a couple of years, gratis, is icing on the cake!

Thank you, CQ ! And I hope that WorldRadio continues to be a drawing card for you for many years to come.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment