Monday, November 10, 2014

Veteran's Day - 2014


A very Happy Veteran’s Day and a very big “Thank You” from the bottom of my heart to all the Vets out there – as well as those currently serving. In my mind, as soon as you put on the uniform, you’re a Veteran. You have defended our freedoms so well for 200+ years, a debt we can never re-pay in full.

Also, a very Happy 239th Birthday to the Marines! Semper Fi, Marines!



Lastly, a Happy Veteran’s Day to my Dad. I was rummaging through some papers in my desk when I came across the Certificate of Condolence that the White House sent upon his passing in 2001. My Dad was a WWII Army Vet who loved to talk about some of the European “sites” he saw during his tour in Europe (including the Passion Play at Oberammergau). He never spoke about combat, though – not uncommon for his generation, it seems. I also came across his wallet sized copy of his Discharge Papers. He was not an Amateur Radio operator, but he was a graduate of the Signal Corps RADAR and Repeater School (which probably explains in some way, my love for Amateur Radio).  I also noticed for the first time that he was a recipient of medals for Combat in the European Theater, as well as a Good Conduct medal and one other. He NEVER spoke about those.

For all the Vets who have passed – Eternal rest, grant unto them Oh Lord, and may Perpetual Light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the Faithful Departed, rest in peace. Amen.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment