Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Went shopping

This is going to sound so un-PC and so sexist that it may offend some. I never bought into PC and I don't consider myself to be the least bit sexist, so if you're offended by such things, I apologize ahead of time..

I took a page out of the "Ladies Playbook". I'm sure many of you've heard the saying, "Depressed? Felling low or down in the dumps? Go shopping!"

And so I did. Upon the advice of Jason NT7S from his blog post in "Ripples in the Ether" and Bob W3BBO (who also purchased one), I went onto the E of Bay and purchased one of these Nano VNA vector network analyzers.  It was only $49, so if it doesn't work out as intended, it's not like I've broken the bank.  But the idea is that this little gadget will help me trim and otherwise optimize the antennas I build/construct for portable operations.

Bob sent me an e-mail with a link to a YouTube video where it's presented on how to get this little device to display VSWR - you know, how to figure out where an antenna is resonant, in order to get help with trimming it for optimal performance.


I'm no rocket scientist, or RF Engineer, but I am hoping this little doo-dad will help take the guesswork out of some antenna tweaking, without spending beaucoup $$$ for either a YouKits or a RigExpert unit. It's shipping from the US, not China, so I should have it next week. It comes with the battery and the necessary cables. I have a SMA to BNC adapter, so I should be in good shape. If not, I'll purchase the correct adapter somewhere.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about your experience with it. The Nano VNA or the Antuino are on my wish list as well!
    Sverre
    LA3ZA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would strongly recommend a short bnc-sma cable adapter over the connector adapter. Some will shout "measurement error" but it's minimal across HF and this approach will save any heavier coax putting strain on the nanovna pcb connectors.

    ReplyDelete