Saturday, February 01, 2020

FYBO Hopes Growing Dim

Sometimes I think that if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

I was driving home last night from the ETS of NJ radio club meeting, and in my mind, I was finalizing plans for what I was going to bring to the park for FYBO. I had intended to travel light and bring only the bare essentials. Anyway, about 1/2 way home I hear a "Bing!" and I look down at the instrument package:


Yes, the dreaded "Check engine light" came on. And that could mean just about anything, from a problem with the gas cap, to a bad sensor to "only God knows what".

So what to do about this at around 9:30 PM on a Friday night? I went online to the Pep Boys Website. I don't know if they are a nation wide chain, but here on the East Coast, they provide auto parts, tires and service. They replaced my front brakes in December when they started grinding. They did an excellent job in what I thought was a pretty short time. I figured I make an appointment as soon as possible and maybe burn a vacation day from work towards the middle of the week.

To my slack-jawed astonishment, they had openings for today - Saturday! I grabbed an open slot at 10:30 AM and I will be leaving from home in about 45 minutes to go see what exactly is wrong and how much it's going to cost. I'll most likely sit and wait while the service is being done. If it's going to take more than a couple of hours, I'll have my son, Joseph, come and bring me home.

Either way, it looks like this is going to kill my chances to participate in FYBO. On the bright side, I still have this evening and tomorrow to try and make those State QSO Party QSOs.

What was the line from that John Lennon song? I think it was something like, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." Boy, did he nail that one!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I hope it is no too bad Larry. Wish you good luck and hope the car will be ready without too much costs. So unfortunate it affect the hobby, but it will be on again. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete