Thursday, January 28, 2010

In The Lower Right Hand Corner

there is a poll.

Which logging software do you use? Do you use any at all? I am keeping this up all month; so please feel free to take part. If you use more than one, you can make more than one selection. Logging software is a favorite topic of mine. It seems whatever program I use, they always have something missing that I want. I wish I knew enough about writing code so that I could come up with a program that had everything that I wanted. Unfortunately, that is not one of my talents.

I bought a mug from CafePress.com and it arrived today. I was VERY impressed by the quality. I didn't think they would be as nice as they are.

The past few weeks have been unseasonably warm around here - I guess we have been experiencing the fabled "January Thaw". Today started with an unexpected period of snow squalls which left the roads super icy! I witnessed the results of more accidents on the way to work today than I think I've ever seen in all my 35 years of driving. I was cut off by a woman in a Saturn; and I thought I was going to be a statistic this morning. I guess I was driving too slow for her tastes; and she whizzed around me and then proceeded to squeeze her vehicle into my lane, ahead of me. Luckily, the anti-lock brakes did their thing and there was enough traction for my tires to bite the road and bring me to a stop. Of course, the woman drove on, unfazed by the fact that she had nearly taken me out. It took a few seconds for my heart to leave my throat and return to its normal position; and I was able to continue on to work without further incident.

Tonight the temperature is supposed to drop into the low 'teens (around -10C). Next week is supposed to remain colder than normal.

Did I mention that I hate Winter?

73 de Larry W2LJ

3 comments:

  1. It is no longer warm out in Northern NJ!

    I voted both HRD & N1MM. I use N1MM for contesting logging. When done, I export all N1MM contacts and import into HRD. I use HRD for any non-contest logging as well.

    What coffee mug did you get from CafePress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    Actually, I bought a "QRP - Do Less With More" mug. I was surprised that the colors are so rich and vibrant.

    Thanks for the words about HRD, I'm going to do a little research on that.

    73 de Larry W2LJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I have AC Log and HRD. I am not a big fan of HRD and only used it briefly. (maybe I didn't give it a fair chance) On the other hand, I used AC Log for several months and was pleased with its overall features. As a programmer there are always things I would have "done different" and did set out to develop my own software. By the time I had written the CAT interface for the FT897, QRZ lookup interface, spotting and database interface I decided that logging software was more of a hassle than I wanted. Most of my operating is done outside with battery power and a Buddi Pole antenna. So I eliminated the need for a computer and use the good old ARRL mini log book and have done so for a couple of years now.

    Mike KC9IPV

    ReplyDelete