Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday night

was spent going over EVERY solder connection on the PFR3A that I have made so far. They all looked good to me; but while trying to sort out my receive problem, I figured "What the heck". Certainly can't make things worse to make sure there were no "iffy" solder joints.

I am still going to re-do T1 (again!); but I haven't had the chance to get to the electronics store. I need to pick up some more 30 gauge enameled wire. Those teeny little cores need the thin stuff when you're trying to put 45 turns of wire on them! Maybe tomorrow night on the way home from work, I can take a slightly different route home and stop at Greenbrook Electronics. I have a roll of 28 gauge, but would really prefer the thinner stuff. That's what came with the kit for rolling this transformer, anyway.

The other thing that I was doing, was engaging in the 80 Meter Foxhunt. I bagged Steve NØSM in Iowa who had a very nice signal into New Jersey. There was some QSB; but when his signal was at its peak, it was over S9. I never did hear KIØG in Texas. I only heard one Hound chasing him; but when I would go to the frequency that I was guessing was his transmit frequency, N4QR was calling CQ ( and he was about 20dB over 9 here in NJ). So if I was guessing right, KIØG was covered up. It's never a good sign when you can only hear one or two Hounds chasing a Fox - the odds are against you.

You know, I think I'm spending too much time before the keyboard. January is not over and this is my 32nd post for the month. Hope you're not getting tired of this stuff!

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Larry, you have the best and least cluttered with repeat news blogs I have found, that's why I read!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete