Thanks to Lou W0TQ for some ideas that he sent me via the PFR3 group list, I think I am making some progress with my PFR3A receive problem.
Lou had asked me if I am getting DDS LO output and I am pretty sure that I am; but I went and touched up a bunch of solder joints from the Group 1 build that had to do with DDS LO output.
From there, I took my antenna lead and touched pin 1 of U1 and now I am hearing a lot more actual receiver noise than I had before. I still think T1 is a problem; so I will yank it out and rewind it once again. This time, however, I am going to wind the secondary using green enameled wire. I don't know .... maybe these old eyes are messing up the wire placement once it comes time to solder T1 to the board. The different colors should help.
73 de Larry W2LJ