Friday, April 04, 2008

Spring, she is a comin' !

You can always tell when Spring is truly on the way by conditions on 80 Meters. Oh yes, you might get fooled by an early warm spell in late February or early March. But if 80 Meters is nice and quiet at night, you can rest assured that more cold weather is in store.

BUT, when 80 Meters was like it was tonight, then you KNOW that Spring is on the way! Just the opposite, you might get fooled by a chilly snap in early April; but when the static crashes are as loud on 80 Meters as they were tonight, then warmer weather is just around the corner for sure.

And this causes a personal dilemma for W2LJ. I love the warm weather! The warmer the better. Hazy, hot and humid do not bother me in the slightest - I hate cold weather with a passion. But I love what cold weather brings - beautiful, quiet conditions on 80 Meters, which is one of my most favorite bands.

As Spring turns in to Summer, I will migrate most evenings over to 40 Meters. And as the sunspots return, 20 Meters will be open again , 24 hours a day to some part of the world. So for now, I guess it's time to say goodbye to 80 Meters. I'll see you once again when the leaves, which are just beginning to form now, turn brown and fall from the trees in October. I will enjoy the warmer temperatures; but will miss my 80 Meter evening QSOs.

73 de Larry W2LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment