Saturday, November 06, 2010

Tuning around on 30 Meters

and not hearing too much of anything.  Of course, I really don't have a great antenna for 30 Meters.  The G5RV is a pretty bad performer and the Butternut is OK; but not great.

I did hear PJ2/K2TQC managing a pretty good sized pileup; but by the time I found him, his signal was fading fast.  I stayed with him for a bit; but then reality took hold and I went searching other parts of the band.  I called CQ for a bit around the QRP watering hole and found no takers.  I then went back to listen to the PJ2 station, but he was so weak as to be almost non-existent.

The "normal" bands are filled with Sweepstakes stations, and that's really heartwarming to hear.  The contest doesn't pull me in the least, though.  Back in the 90's I used to participate to get the "100 Contacts" pin that the League offered.  Do they still even do that anymore?

I guess my attention span (or maybe my back and backside) are better geared for shorter 2 to 4 hour Sprints. I admire the die hard contesters, though.  They have drive and stamina that I could only hope for.  At the same time, I think about how accustomed we've become to having computers in our shacks.  I remember in my early Ham days, when everyone kept a paper and pencil dupe sheet.  Wow, we've come a long way!  I'm sure some folks still use the old paper and pencil method, but I'd also be willing to wager that that is becoming rarer and rarer.

For my involvement in the QRP Sprints, I still keep my log with paper and pencil and transfer to the computer after the fact.  With the number of QSOs that I generally make, a dupe sheet is not necessary.  When you only make 20 to 30 contacts in a couple of hours, it's real easy to see if you've worked a guy before on a given band.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Larry. I'm the same way; I like two or three hours of operating a short sprint rather than two days stuck in a chair.

    BTW, I'm probably going on a QRPxpedition today on the AT. Look for me on 30 and maybe 17.

    72
    Goody
    K3NG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Larry, I too during the sprints and most CW contests for that matter use the old paper and pencil. Sure it is slower but I'm not in any contest to win just to have fun and make some contacts. Also to pickup the code speed just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Ham here, and I haven't even dreamt about participating in a CW contest. I just had my first CW QSO a few weeks ago actually. QRS for me (10 wpm), but it was fun!

    And I'm in the part of "computer logging." Have to admit it. I don't have a paper log.

    Thanks for your blog. Interesting stuff to read!

    73 de KD8NJZ
    Craig

    ReplyDelete