Friday, January 17, 2020

This and that

During the 80 Meter QRP Fox hunt last night (more on that later), I downloaded and installed Log4OM V2. The new version is a stand-alone version and can be run independently of Log4OM V1. In fact, if for some reason, you wanted to run both programs at the same time, there is nothing to stop you. They will not "talk" to each other, however. You would have to add contacts to each, if you wanted to maintain both.

My first impressions are very favorable. Installation was a snap and went without a hitch. Having used V1 for so many years, starting and configuring V2 was very intuitive. I stumbled around for a bit trying to find this or that, but a few "past practice" guesses got me where I needed to be with just a few mouse clicks.

Visually, V2 is very nice, well organized and is easy on the eyes. I think anyone who is looking for an easy to use, highly functional and aesthetically pleasing log program would do well to check out Log4OM V2.  From what I understand, V1 will be kept available for download on the Website, but updates and improvements have ceased.

The fact that I was able to install, configure and import my log into the new version should tell you all you need to know about my success in the Fox hunt last night. I got skunked. I did not expect to hear K2MAX in Oregon, here in NJ. I was not disappointed in that regard.

Tom KV2X was another story. He was loud for about the first 15 - 20 minutes and unfortunately, I did not score a pelt during that window. For the next hour, he was inaudible. With not even an ESP signal, the only way I knew where he was by the location of the Hounds calling him.

Then, with about 10 minutes left in the hunt, I heard him pop out of the noise and I started calling - furiously. He came back to me, and I sent my exchange several times, but the QSB was bad and I never got a confirmation. So I had my fingers crossed that I had made it into his log with only minutes to go. When he published his log to the e-mail reflector this morning, my hopes were dashed. W2LJ was not in there.

As the saying goes .......sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. Last night was one of those squished, buggy times.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on V2 Larry. I was wondering if I could run it alongside V1. Now, this is the answer. Will install it one of these days... 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear Larry the 2 versions don't talk to each other but, you can enable adif monitor which inserts automatically qso's from another adif file 73 de SV1GRN

    ReplyDelete