Sunday, July 14, 2024

Grading antennas

At Lake George last week, I had the opportunity to use four different antennas. My thoughts and impressions of each:

My Buddistick magmounted to the car roof was a clear winner. I was able to work a couple of European stations within minutes of each other. Had I brought along my camping chair, I would have stayed with the Buddistick a lot longer. Standing hunched over behind my open hatch back was aggravating the bursitis in my hip. I have used this setup before when I used to do a lot of lunchtime radio from tbe parking lot at work, and in fact, I had written an article about it that appeared in the February 2014 edition of CQ magazine. I am hoping the nano VNA will help me determine sweet spots for 40 through 10 Meters.

Second was the PAR ENDFEDZ used as a sloper in conjunction with a 20 foot Shakespeare crappie pole as a mast. This worked exceedingly well, also. Next year, I plan to bring the Jackite for an added extra 11 feet in height. Wire antennas seem to be a favorite of mine going back to my Novice days. I know that wire in the air will not disappoint.

Third was the AlexLoop. This antenna performed satisfactorally and was the clear winner for ease in changing bands, Just tune the capacitor and you're good to go. It might not have heard as well, or gotten out as well as the Buddistick or Par, but I was glad I brought it along and will continue to do so in the future.

AX1. I didn't use it long enough a proper evaluation. On this try for POTA, I was not really impressed, but then again, I have it used before with decent results. It would think that going forward, it will be my last resort if any other solutions do not appear to be viable. But I have to keep in mind that many KX2 and KH1 users rave about this antenna, so I will keep an open mind.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment