Tuesday, July 09, 2024

MacGyver I am not

Yesterday was somewhat of a good radio day up here at the Lake, all be it with a scare thrown in for good measure. From public property, I made my 10 QSOs for a successful activation of US-2001, Adirondack State Park.

I was operating from a picnic table and started out using the AX1. I worked John N0EVH who was at US-6470 for a Park to Park. But after him, I wasn't hearing much of anything on 20 Meters. So I shut off the KX3 and decided to switch to the AlexLoop. This is where the scare came in. When I went to turn the KX3 back on, it would't turn on! After about 5 tries, it eventually came back to life, but to say I was concerned is an understatement.

I went to my phone and was going to Google "KX3 fails to turn on" and that's when I found the answer in a roundabout way. W2LJ, the KX3 and the cellphone were all sitting in the hot sun. My cellphone gave me a warning message. "Your phone is too hot. Apps will not open." Everything was too hot, as my little Radio Shack clock/thermometer (which is in a WHITE plastic case) confirmed that it was over 100F in the sun.

Later, after bringing the KX3 back into the cabin and allowing it to cool down, it repeatedly turned on and off as it always has.  Before shutting down and coming inside, I did manage to work the requisite amount of stations with contacts on 20 and 40 Meters ranging from NY to AL, MN and NE.


A while back, I saw in one of the Elecraft user Facebook pages where a guy took his brand new KX2 and painted the case with a desert sand colored paint. I have to admit that I thought he was nuts, but after yesterday, I recognize his wisdom. The light color reflects the hot sun instead of absorbing it. Additionally, Bob W3BBO reminded me that was probably the reason of the PFR3 was bright yellow. I'll have to come up with some kind of shading solution.

Now for the title part of this post and my statement about not being MacGyver.......

We've been coming up to this place at Lake George for 21 Summers now. This is our 20th year at this particular place called Stepping Stones. We have been in various cabins throughout our years here, but about 5 years ago, we were able to snag one of the two cabins closest to the lake. This is what's right outside our window - between us and the lake. For years I did not notice this !?!


Fence posts! I can bungee my crappie pole (or the Jackite, if I bring it) to one of the fence posts and then run the PAR ENDFEDZ right to the porch! If I bungee it to the farthest fence post, even the mast will disappear in the foliage and no one will know it's there. Added bonus ...... I can set it up and take it down in minutes.


Sometimes I am so slow on the uptake that I disgust even myself. Angus MacGyver I am not. If you're ever in a situation where there's a bomb ready to go off and all we have is some shoelaces, chewing gum, and rubber bands, I am NOT the guy you want to have at your side!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment