Wednesday, October 04, 2006

A night of thunder

The past few days have been warm here in Central NJ, with highs flirting with the 80 degree mark. I guess not true Indian Summer; but close enough. True Indian Summer is when you get a patch of warm weather after the first frost. These past few days have been warm enough; but so far, no first frost ..... yet! . But any time we get a spell of warm weather after the furnace has kicked on for the beginning of the heating season, I consider that to be Indian Summer.

Tomorrow, the temperatures are supposed to fall back into the 60s for a high, with night time temps in the upper 40s. So tonight brought a batch of thunderstorms to accompany the cold front that's moving through.

In between two belts of boomers, I did manage to get on the air. I worked Frank K4WFM who resides in Tampa, FL. Frank and I have QSOed before; and it's always nice to work him. Frank was using his K2 to a 160 Meter loop. He was running 50 Watts and was a good 599. I, on the other hand, was running my K2 at the 5 Watt level into the G5RV. Frank gave me a 559; but indicated that he had a solid copy on me. His K2 is serial number 4191 and mine is number 4090; so we both built them roughly the same time.

Frank had a great signal and a great fist. It was a rather short 20 minute QSO; but we mutually decided to pull the plug as both our signals were beginning to fade (QSB). The band was devoid of signals. I guess everyone in the NorthEast must have shut it down because of local lightning. Frank was easily the loudest station I had heard. As I write this, the second band of boomers and heavy rain is moving through. I can hear the rain pattering against the skylight in the other room. My dog Jesse is curled up at my feet - thunder sends him over the edge. Doggie Paxil, anyone?

Even though the weather has been so warm; I haven't gone out at lunchtime to the car for any radio. In addition to a super heavy workload; the outside of our building is being painted. There are painters, ladders and scaffolds everywhere - I don't think they need me getting in their way. Maybe tomorrow, I'll park on the other side of the building, out of the way. A nice lunchtime QRP session in the cool, brisk Autumn weather might just hit the spot.

73 de Larry W2LJ (have to go over and calm down the dog - he looks like he's going to jump out of his skin).

No comments:

Post a Comment