Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Crazy 20 Meter Foxhunt tonight

I combed the 20 Meter Foxhunt "grounds" from 14.050 to 14.070 MHz for what seemed like forever tonight. I was not hearing either Fox our any hounds for that matter.

I seemed to be creating a callous on my thumb tuning back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Then what to my wondering ears I should hear? All of a sudden, Karl K5DI from New Mexico came out of nowhere into my aether with a 559 signal, which sounded very loud indeed; considering the nothingness I was hearing everywhere else.

A quick call nabbed him and I got him in the log at 0159 UTC.

Then back to search for Jim K9JWV, who lives in Utah; and as far as NJ is concerned, that's K5DIs next door neighbor. Tuning back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Never heard a peep out of Jim; nor the pack chasing him.

How things change in a week! Last Tuesday night, I worked both Foxes, N1FN and K4BAI within two minutes of each other. Last week I was the windshield; tonight I was the bug. Sorta.

73 de Larry W2LJ

1 comment:

  1. Hi Larry,

    I experienced the same thing here in WV....he was the ONLY signal I heard all night.

    I thought the band was totally dead and never expected to hear either fox's.

    The "window" was only open for a few minutes and I nabbed him at 0151z.

    ReplyDelete