Friday, July 08, 2011

Sad day

Today, as most of you know, was the launch of the final Space Shuttle Mission - STS135.  Atlantis lifted off and with that, the last manned mission launched from the USA had begun.  From here on out, if we desire to get to the International Space Station, we will have to rely on "bumming a seat" with the Russians.

I was born in 1957, the year that Sputnik was launched so I am a "Space Program" baby, as it were.  Some of the very first TV images that I can recall were of Alan Shepard's and John Glenn's Mercury flights.  I watched with rapt attention all the Gemini and Apollo missions.  I followed SkyLab and the Shuttle missions with equal interest.

It is sad, for me at least, to see it come to an end.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment: