Tuesday, November 27, 2012

W3EDP passes its first test

Wow - what a difference a different wire makes.

I signed on to the 40 Meter QRP Fox hunt tonight and spotted Dave AB9CA pretty much right off the bat.  He was a bit on the weak side - and then I switched on over to the W3EDP from the EDZ  Dave went from super weak to 569 - easy!  To say I was amazed by the increase in his signal by changing wires is an understatement.  I went from thinking that I might not have a chance to getting in the log.

Drew K9CW in Illinois is even tougher.  No matter which antenna I switch to, this is going to be tough. I am hearing him the best on the W3EDP, though. Right now about 339 at best.

Fingers are crossed for an improvement in propagation.

Addendum - Got Drew ......... using the Butternut HF9V!  Didn't think the vertical was the best club in the bag for 40 Meters; but it did the trick.  So much for conventional wisdom!

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

1 comment:

  1. And proof that a man can never have too many antennas!

    ReplyDelete