Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Change in plans

A thought came to me while I was at work on Monday. I think I can myself save a few $$.  I know that I have a couple old magmounts in the basement from antennas that I have used over the years that either got damaged or otherwise fell into disuse. To keep the magnets strong, I've kept them attached to the ductwork in the basement ceiling. I found this one Monday night, which is perfect for my needs. (I love scavenging!)

The threaded hole perfectly matches the thread size of the Buddistick extension arms.  All I have to do is replace the coax. I took it apart to see how that was originally fitted as there's still a tiny stub of coax left - I guess the original coax got damaged and I had cut it off. This one's been literally "hanging around" in the basement for so long, I don't even remember what antenna I had attached to it.

It's a press fit. Maybe not the best arrangement, electronically, but it works. I cut the coax off one of these, which I recently removed from the Jeep:


I wasn't getting the range from this Compaqtenna that I was used to getting with a more "traditional" type of VHF/UHF dual band antenna, so I switched back to one. The coax was still good and it will mate perfectly with the old magmount that I rescued from the basement (or so I hope!).

The weather is supposed to be good this weekend and I don't have too many outstanding obligations glaring me in the face. I am going to get this repair job done on Saturday and then maybe on Sunday, if God is willing and the creek don't rise, I'll go up to Washington Rock State Park and will activate K-1635 using the Buddistick.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment