Saturday, August 17, 2024

Saturday, and the weather's turning lousy

I'm not absolutely sure what tomorrow is going to bring, except that I'm pretty certain there will be no park operating for me tomorrow. Weatherbug is calling for a 45% chance of showers tomorrow. If it's dry around Noon time, I just might set up the Jackite and EFRW in the backyard. If it's raining, I'll operate from the shack, and will swallow the better multiplier you get for operating portable. 

Today the bands weren't absolute crud. They weren't great either, but I did manage to put 10 POTA stations in the log. All but one were on 20 Meters. After I worked one activation on 40 Meters, I tuned around a bit and there was a guy, nice and loud, calling CQ. I was anticipating the possibility of a nice ragchew, but after I called him, he continued to CQ in my face. I guess another case of propagation not being reciprocal.

I also tried listening for N5J on and off all day. I finally heard them on 15 Meters for all of about 20 to 30 seconds. He then promptly disappeared and I never heard them again on any band.

I got my DC to DC converter wired up. I connected it to my new LiON battery which was holding at 13.4 Volts. The output was a steady 12.1 Volts. I think that should be acceptable to the QMX. I am also charging up some "AA" Lithium batteries that I used to use when I had my PFR3A. Three of them, fully charged, should come up to 11.1 Volts. That might even be the safer way to go. I'm glad I ordered a bunch of 2.1mm power plugs!

72 de Larry W2LJ 

QRP - When you care to send the very least!

No comments:

Post a Comment